Godzilla

Godzilla

Tuesday, January 28, 2014




Inglourious Basterds (2009)



When someone labels the best directors to have ever lived, one name should definitely come to mention Quentin Tarantino. Now, I'm not gonna fawn over Tarantino cause he had some really bad films like Sin City and Four Rooms.  However, when he's at his best, none can ever match.  When I first watched Basterds, I hated it, mainly cause I was a foolish 12.  Now that I'm 16, I can truly enjoy Basterds.  Seriously, this film was amazing!  I used to think Django Unchained was Tarantino's best 2000 film, but after a recent rewatch , I'm reconsidering.  Both films were good.  Don't get me wrong, but Django is in need of a rewatch.  However, Inglorious Basterds is Tarantino at his best.

Set in the 1940s, this World War 2 epic follows Lt. Aldo Raine as the leader of a ragtag group of soldiers sent to kill any Nazi, along with Hitler himself.  Meanwhile, a Jewish woman, who lost her family to Nazi soldiers, has set a trap.  She poses as the owner of a theater, which will premiere one of the supposedly best films ever.  Of course, Mr. Hitler will be in attendance.  Many plots are interwoven, including one about German soldier Hans Landa, who is much smarter than he appears.  The film has a different premise than his other films, but don't get that wrong.  It still has that Tarantino feel to it, so if you're not a fan of Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Kill Bill, stay away.  However, this a must see for Tarantino fans cause I will tell you this: It's one of his best works to date.


The best thing this film has going for it is Tarantino's script without a doubt.  If you're not a fan of dialogue driven films, you'll leave this film wanting more.  Much of the film is comedic, which can be interpreted wrong at times.  Sometimes the comedy seemed to happen at the wrong time, making it seem as if every German soldier deserved to die.  This is my biggest complaint for the film because it makes it seem as if all German soldiers supported the Nazi regime.  It's inaccurate, and many Germans may feel it's distasteful.  I kind of do, but I can't help but say that it boosts the film.  Of course, this film features Tarantino's style of violence.  Outrageous amounts of blood spill and some deaths are very brutal, namely the introduction to the Bear Jew (played by Eli Roth).  It's violence actually helps the film, however.  It gives it a very realistic feel reminding us that WW2 was a brutal fight.  While doing this, Tarantino also entertains un in his own special way.

Also, I can't review this film without mentioning Christoph Waltz' Hans Landa.  This guy is truly amazing.  Every scene he's in is completely amazing.  His character is one of the best villains ever.  He lifts this film above average territory straight into amazing.  The opening scene in which he haunts down a Jewish family reveals everything about him.  I love a film where I can understand a character based off of one scene.  I understood that Landa was a much smarter soldier, who only cares for his own well being.  He's ruthless and cold.  It truly is amazing.. Tarantino made a really amazing character.  However, I wasn't fond of Pitt's performance in this film.  He was used more as the comic relief, and while it was funny at times, he gets annoying after a while.  I really felt like he really  didn't add anything to the film.

Hans Landa
I personally made this gif.

Overall, Inglorious Basterds is a pretty good film.  Definitely one of Tarantino's best written films right now.  It features some intense scenes and some pretty crazy shootouts.  Sure, the violence maybe a little too gratuitous, but it lets be honest here.  Nobody does violence better than Tarantino.  Some would complain about the very distasteful portrayal of all German soldiers because most didn't support the Third Reich.  However, I loved this film, mainly cause of the grand scale of things.  Rather than feel  like a small time robbery like most of Tarantino's films, it feels more epic in it's scope, which really gives a vibe unmatched by his other films.  Of course the film is weighed down by the comedy, which really wasn't bad, but it felt unnecessary in some moments.  However, I believe this was Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction.  And I believe Tarantino thinks the same way.  In the end, a character says, "You know.  This might just be my masterpiece."  Is that Tarantino telling us something?  I think so.

8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment